News

11 September 2017

Have your say – Regional Development Consultation

Southland’s mayors and chairman are encouraging businesses and the public to take an interest in the Southland Regional Development Agency (SRDA) proposal that is open for consultation.

The SRDA proposal aims to form an organisation that will bring together local government, iwi, and community and business interests to lead regional social and economic development opportunities. It will combine the goals of SoRDS (Southland Regional Development Strategy), and the activities of Venture Southland, including tourism, but will have a wider focus.

The proposal has been agreed to by all Southland councils – Southland Regional (Environment Southland), Invercargill City, Gore District and Southland District. It involves the creation of a council controlled organisation (CCO) with a skills-based board of directors, appointed by the council shareholders. The shareholders will be the province’s four councils who will hold 75% of the shares, with Ngāi Tahu, Southland Chamber of Commerce, SIT, CTOS, ILT and MLT holding the remaining 25% of shares.

Submissions on the SRDA proposal close at 4.00 pm, 2 October 2017 and hearings will follow.

The SRDA proposal/consultation document is available here

Submissions can be received in a variety of ways:

• Online at www.es.govt.nz/SRDA

• Email to service@es.govt.nz

• Post to SRDA Proposal, Environment Southland, Private Bag 90116, Invercargill 9840

• Deliver to any council office (or clearly marked sub-office) in the region: Environment Southland, Invercargill City Council, Gore District Council, Southland District Council

• Fax to 03 211 5252

Call 0800 76 88 45 for further information.